Somerset Bridge Limited are seeking a Senior Data Scientist to join our Data Science team. This role is open to candidates with 5+ years’ experience. We use machine learning across the group to generate insights from motor insurance data at any stage in the customer journey, including with actuarial departments. We are seeking a well-rounded candidate with a passion for data science with a proven track record of delivering end to end analytical solutions. A successful candidate will have extensive experience using the R programming language, be an excellent communicator, and have a desire to work with new software and technology. A strong statistical background will be an advantage.
Data Scientist Duties:
- Using R programming to deliver data science solutions from start to finish, applying machine learning to business problems. Steps including understanding the business context, developing solutions, deployment into live and monitoring the solution.
- Becoming a technical expert in various areas within the Data Science team.
- Supporting the process of developing alternative machine learning solutions (e.g. Python).
- Working across the organisation with a range of stakeholders to maximise the benefit of data science throughout the business.
- Developing a knowledge base of the company products and data.
- Taking ownership of projects running across teams (technical and non-technical) ensuring delivery.
- Assisting the development of junior colleagues through coaching and feedback.
- Advancing the Data Science team through data, technology, and approaches.
Desirable skills/experience (not all required):
- R programming experience is essential.
- Statistical modelling experience is desirable.
- An additional benefit would be some skills within any of the following software – SAS, SQL, Python.
- A solid grounding in technical aspects of data science from first principles.
- A desire to code but also develop new software solutions in a changing environment.
- A genuine interest in application of machine learning and statistical problems and their application to insurance business problems.
- Experience taking projects from concept to delivery.
- Experience working with and communicating with all key stakeholders.
- Manging projects alone and in teams.
- Experience working with and developing junior colleagues.
- Knowledge and experience of insurance markets. UK motor advantageous.
What we offer you
- Hybrid working, 2 days office based & 3 from home
- Life Assurance, 4 x salary
- Annual Bonus
- 100’s of exclusive retailer discounts
- Professional wellbeing and fitness app
- Enhanced parental leave
- Time off for IVF appointments
- Cycle to work scheme
- Eye care vouchers
- Xmas and Summer parties, fully funded
- Staff appreciation events
- Community support day